Sunday, June 26, 2011

DAY 266 - The Mother Who Could

photo courtesy of mdanys at flickr
It can be very difficult for a mother, who is responsible for preparing food for her family, to lay down the law with one of her children in regard to what the child eats; even when the rules are for the child’s and the family’s health. The following is the account of a patient of mine, a mother who could.

“When I first saw the doctor we discussed at length my medical and family history.  Then we started talking about my 3-year-old son.  My husband and I have experienced behavioral problems with him since he was about 8 months old.  My son’s diet consisted of two things, banana baby food and milk.  He was very irritable, hyperactive, and did not listen.  His behavior was very unmanageable.  There was constant stress in our household.

The doctor [Dr. Young] suggested that I try eliminating the dairy and the bananas. He said that it was very possible my son was allergic to dairy.  The banana baby food was made of mostly sugar. I reluctantly changed his diet.  I was reluctant because I was afraid he would starve.  He did not.  We started him on soy milk and completely cut out the banana baby food. It was a difficult transition, but it worked.

My son is now a happy little boy. There is a light in his eyes. He sings, he laughs instead of crying and screaming.  He's no longer the same irritable little boy.  His behavior is much better than I could have ever imagined.  I am so thankful for the advice and genuine concern for my family's well-being.  I owe the doctor my sanity.”

Note: It takes two, in this case, to tango; a doctor that knows, and a mother who can. When the two come together, the outcome is often health and sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment