Friday, October 8, 2010

DAY 3 – The Earth Charter

About age 50 my awareness of, and my attention to the world around me began to increase. I found myself thinking more about human suffering, world peace, and global ecology. These changes have led me to spend more time in the last 10 years working for the common good than I did in the previous 49 years combined.

In 2002 I became a member of Citizens for Peaceful Resolutions (CPR - http://c-p-r.net), a Ventura, California-based non-profit, and nine months later joined its executive board. Each October we, CPR, host a celebration and award ceremony based on The Earth Charter (http://earthcharterus.org).

The Earth Charter is a declaration of fundamental ethical principles for building a just, sustainable and peaceful global society in the 21st century. It seeks to inspire in all people a new sense of global interdependence and shared responsibility for the well-being of the whole human family, the greater community of life, and future generations. It is a vision of hope and a call to action. The Earth Charter is a product of a decade-long, worldwide, cross cultural dialogue on common goals and shared values.

The Earth Charter is a framework that helps me more fully appreciate that we are all members of one big human family on this earth, and reminds me that we will all sink or swim together.

If you live in the Ventura area, please consider joining us this Saturday the 9th of October from 3-5 PM at the Ventura College cafeteria as we consciously celebrate and work toward a peaceful global society, and honor activists in our community who work in support of the values of The Earth Charter. For additional information: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=156127717741541&index=1

No comments:

Post a Comment