Thursday, January 13, 2011

DAY 101 - A Worrier

Is a worrier, ALWAYS a person who makes something out of nothing?

In SOME instances, is a worrier a person who sees more than others?

You are familiar with The Serenity Prayer. The first part says, “God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."

While profoundly attracted to, and in need of serenity, this prayer has never done it for me.

Given there is no switch that I can flip that will stop war, end poverty, rid the world of nuclear weapons, establish rational campaign finance reform in the US, or turn the corner on global warming, there is SOMETHING that I can do about each one; and I feel responsible to do so. So, what is it that I can’t be a part of changing?

The middle part, the “courage to change” part of the prayer, I support entirely.

The last part, “and wisdom to know the difference” may be the weakest link; or perhaps that part of the prayer was never granted. A lot of people feel hopeless about having any ability to change aspects of their lives, or circumstances in the world. Clearly, hopelessness and wisdom are not the same.

Maybe we can grant ourselves a degree of serenity by recognizing that our lives affect all others, and by beginning to construct a world view that includes us reaching out in small but important ways to create more harmony everywhere. I’m a worrier, but not a hopeless worrier; and it helps me.

No comments:

Post a Comment