Sunday, February 20, 2011

DAY 139 - Stopped by a Bug

It was 9 o’clock in the evening on Friday the 4th of February, DAY 123 of my book, when I realized I was in trouble.

A week earlier I had torn some connective tissue in my left ankle. No big deal; it swelled a bit and bled internally. Having done this before, I knew that it would be sore, but resolve within a week or two. Instead, 3 days later, the ankle was not just swollen and bruised, but red and warm. My sweet wife gently suggested that antibiotics might be called for. While in no way opposed to antibiotics, I have always been strongly opposed to their inappropriate use. I hoped that my immune system could handle the situation.

During the next few days the condition of my ankle fluctuated. On Thursday the 3rd, it appeared that my body had the upper hand. But by 9 PM on Friday, the invaders had me down. My left ankle was painful, hot and swollen.

Being so fortunate as to have dear friends who are medical doctors, I was able to contact one, get to an all-night pharmacy, and start on antibiotics. The next day, Saturday, my MD friend met me at his office, lanced the infected area, sent a sample for culturing, and recommended a stronger antibiotic.

By Monday the culture report was back from the lab and showed a serious infection by a bacterium that is resistant to most antibiotics.

My book and my life would be put on hold for 14 days ... by a bug.

No comments:

Post a Comment