Tuesday, December 28, 2010

DAY 85 – Don’t Be So Sensitive!

I’ve always been a bit sensitive, so maybe that’s why I’m a bit sensitive when I hear someone being told “don’t be so sensitive.”

Are people really asking that another reduce his awareness of and concern for others, or for conditions in the world? Interesting.

In our culture, being sensitive, often means being weak and emotionally excessive.

Frankly, I am pro sensitivity. I ask patients that I counsel, “Would you like to have a friend who is sensitive, or one that is insensitive?” I suggest that sensitivity is a wonderful gift, while reminding that a keen awareness of the pain in the world can challenge one to maintain balance. By attending to the care of oneself, one can also care for others.

Just a thought, but maybe those of you who want us to not be so sensitive, don’t have to be so sensitive about us being so sensitive.

(Photo of evan and Catalina by Hannah FitzGerald)

No comments:

Post a Comment